Round 17 Match Report

18th August, 2010

1st Grade vs Camden

After suffering their first loss of the season last week The Power were looking to hit back against a Camden side who were out of finals calculations. The big story of the day however was Alan Fritsch who needed just 2 goals to kick 100 for the year for the 2nd consecutive year. People had flown from all over the country just to watch Al today and he had an excited crowd following him wherever he went.

The game started as many expected with The Power winning all the ball through the middle of the ground with Phil, Matty and Stuey all heavily involved early whilst Leigh Hitchcock in his first grade debut was also heavily influencing the ruck contests. The first quarter saw The Power have plenty of chances in front of goal managing to kick 5.5 to Camden’s no score, however despite this early dominance Al was not able to convert any of his chances.

The second quarter was much the same with The Power continuing to dominate, Duffy was impressive with his tap work when thrown into the ruck and it was the Davis brothers Tongs and Rhys who were the main beneficiaries of Duffy’s work. Mick Bellman was providing a great option across half forward and was been used well as a link into the forward line. Only 2.8 were managed by The Power for the quarter in a wasteful display that saw many chances go begging. Al did however mange 1 for the quarter to take him to 99 for the year. The half time score saw The Power hold a commanding 7.13-55 to 1.2-8 lead from which Camden were never coming back.

Early in the third quarter saw the big moment arrive when Al slotted a set shot from the north eastern pocket to bring up his ton. As soon as it happened the crowd that had followed Al for the game charged onto the field to celebrate with him. In a typical decision from the men in orange they really got in the spirit of the moment by immediately blowing a free kick against the Power for spectators encroaching upon the pristine playing surface. This goal however opened the floodgates as the Power kicked 8 goals for the quarter with Liam and Tongs both getting amongst the goals. Duane was also having a solid game constantly harassing opponents while finding plenty of footy himself. Newy again was able to utilise his pace on the wing to set up many scoring shots and also grab a couple of goals himself.

With the game all but over both teams appeared to go through the motions in the fourth quarter and not a lot of scoring was done. Simo and his fellow backline were able to comfortably hold the Camden attack on the odd occasions the ball travelled down there with The Power only conceding two goals for the game. It was a midfield procession for The Power as anyone who was lucky enough to get a run in there seemingly could do as they pleased as Camden were often found waiting behind the ball to clog up the forward line. The Power ended the game convincing winners 18.19-127 to 1.4-16 in a game that never reached any great heights.

Comments are closed.