Finals Match Report

1st September, 2010

1st Grade vs UTS

Finals time is back around and in the major semi final played on Saturday The Southern Power played UTS for the right to go straight into the grand final. The Power were beaten by UTS a few weeks back and were looking to avenge that defeat on the bigger surface of Henson Park. A slight cross breeze made conditions less than ideal however it was much easier than the gale faced last week.

The first quarter was an extremely tight, high pressure affair. Both sides attacked the ball hard and were also putting plenty of pressure on anyone with the ball. The ball was pretty much trapped within the centre square and neither side could really penetrate the forward 50. It took nearly 15 minutes for the first goal to be scored however a quick reply saw the scores stay even through to quarter time where UTS led by a solitary point. Matty and Phil, 2 key members of the side both had started the game well.

The second quarter saw the Power turn their game up a notch completely dominating all over the ground. Unfortunately this could not be converted into scoreboard pressure as dropped marks in the forward 50 as well as extremely inaccurate kicking saw the Power manage only 2 goals to Duane and Newy for the quarter with an agonising 10 behinds kicked. UTS struggled to get the ball past Milky who was on fire at centre half back. The half time score showed The Power leading 3.12-30 to 2.4-16. Newy, Youngy and Duane were all excellent for the Power in the second quarter.

With both teams well and truly in the game at half time the premiership quarter would be decisive, UTS came out and threw everything at the Power who were able to stand up to the challenge. Cookie at fullback was sensational, under heavy pressure in the last line of defence he continually repelled all attacks which were heavily focused on the UTS full forward. Tongs provided a lot of the midfield drive in the third quarter getting the ball out of defence and into attack allowing Carmo, Clarkey and the other forwards their chance at scoring goals. The Power and UTS both kicked a goal each in the third quarter and the margin was just 9 points going into the final quarter.

As with the second quarter the Power dominated all over the ground but just couldn’t put the game to bed. Al was looking dangerous but just couldn’t get marks to stick. Milky continued to dominate across half back and along with Matty just kept peppering the ball into the Power forward line. The pressure eventually told on the UTS backline who were under severe pressure for the entire quarter with Clarkey taking a mark in the goal square after a shank from 25m out fell short and he kicked the goal to seal the game. The final score was 6.15-51 to 4.6-30 but the game was in the balance till the very last minutes.

Best was given to Cookie whilst Matty, Youngy and Milky were standouts as well.

Reserve Grade vs Penrith

The Power reserve grade side were taking on Penrith in the elimination final on Sunday in a reply of last week game. The winners were to continue on to play UTS next week while for the losers it was curtains on their season. Henson Park had put on a perfect day and a few in the crowd even had shirts off looking for that early spring tan.

A returning Thommo led the side out onto the field and he led them around the ground in the first quarter as well, constantly first to the ball and choosing the correct options. Both teams were playing an exciting brand of footy in the first quarter that was open and free flowing creating opportunities early. The Power kicked the first of the game through Libbas and kept that one goal advantage as the sides traded goals early to lead by 5 at quarter time.

Penrith came out in the second quarter and threw everything at the Power, however with Luke Jansson on fire in the middle and Graffy winding back the clock across half forward the Power were able to more than hold their own and kept the 5 point lead they had at quarter time into the main break leading 32-27.

With another game in the balance at the main break the crowd on hand were getting excited (some were even a little over enthusiastic). A couple of early goals to Lyndon and the Power really had the crowd going as the lead was stretched out to 3 goals. Clint was starting to find plenty of the ball through the middle and Marksy was providing a strong option in the forwards. Penrith got a run on towards the end of the third quarter and kicked 4 straight before Denyer goaled on three quarter time to cut Penrith’s lead back to just 2 points at the final change.

The last quarter had everyone on the edge of their seats, Thommo and Graffy continued their outstanding games while Butch was sterling as ever in defence against a much taller opponent. However this was not enough as heads dropped for the Power when a couple of missed chances early were turned around and resulted in Penrith goals. With an injured bench unable to contribute Penrith were able to get on a roll and kick quite a few goals late to run away the game, the final score finishing 15.15-105 to 9.4-58.

The Power played excellent for the entire game with Graffy, Thommo, Luke and Clint the best however they could not contain a tall Penrith side for the 4 quarters needed to win.

Comments are closed.